vi

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm Back!

First of all, Eid Mubarak everyone! Hope you all enjoyed the holidays. I've been away for some time coz I've been really busy with work and then Ramadan. I haven't posted anything since, but I've been visiting blogs now and then.
Some people from my office left and some went on vacation, so that kept us busy throughout the end of summer and Ramadan. Well, not really in Ramadan.. I enjoyed it coz I came home early this time, slept before iftar and then went out till late night sometimes. I had fun! Eid was pretty boring for me. I think the environment around you and whole atmosphere in general can affect your mood a lot. Eid in UAE is not really like Eid back home where literally the whole country is celebrating! Once upon a time you could *feel* the Eid spirit here, but now it's just dull almost like any other day. Shops hike up the prices of foodstuff and retail goods, only some streets are lit up by ages old colorful lights, hotels really don't have anything special to offer. So basically, it's pretty crappy here. Sad. Very sad indeed. Of course you can enjoy your time with friends and family, but I'm talking about something else, if you can understand this!
On the other hand, apart from the National Day, look at how valentines, christmas and new years is celebrated. It doesn't feel like you're in a muslim country. For those few days the whole country is lit up! Why is that? I mean, sure we can all celebrate these days as we live in a metropolitan and multicultural society, but this is still a muslim country. I do enjoy valentines, xmas and new years, but I also want to see the same fervour, excitement and feel the same enjoyment on Eid. I want to see it on the streets. Aping the west should not mean that you forget your roots.
Or maybe... there's just more money to be made on non-muslim holidays! That's it!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Eid Mubarak and welcome back! Been on my own long hiatus.

It's sad you feel that way about eid there...sweden is improving...some dressed up person went around the mall handing out eid candy to kids...not bad ey?

10/17/2007 11:15 PM  
Blogger clayfuture said...

well I would expect more from a muslim country.. but i'm glad to hear that sweden is into the eid holiday spirit!! :)

10/19/2007 6:22 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

Welcome back! I wondered where you'd been hibernating :-)
There were only a few buildings bedecked in lights in AbDab this year, compared to Eid last year, which I thought was a bit sad. I wonder what it'll be like over Crimble?

10/25/2007 12:19 AM  
Blogger * said...

Its almost second eid soon. Kuch kaho miah!
Oh mainay wish nahi kiya?
Eid Mubarak praaa'h!!
LMAO!

11/04/2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger UAE ALIAS said...

ُEid Ath7a Mubarak& happy new year... It's Ok I'm back to blogging you can come back too...lol
Wasssssup with you?

12/25/2007 4:32 PM  
Blogger i*maginate said...

Welcome back, missed ya

12/29/2007 2:24 AM  
Blogger * said...

Hello , Ishq nay tumhay nikamma bana diya hai.
WRITE SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

2/18/2008 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home