vi

Sunday, October 29, 2006

I Gave Blood Today!

There was a blood donation drive in my company today from Al Wasl Hospital and yours truly, with some persuasion from colleagues, decided to give blood! It's not that I'm afraid of needles or the sight of blood makes me dizzy. I guess I was just being lazy!
Anyways, I went and first our company nurse gives me a form to fill out. It contained questions like "have you ever taken drugs/shared needles/when did you last have sex/do you think you have AIDS/do you know AIDS will be reported to the government/etc... etc..." Once done, the doctor then took some blood to check my haemoglobin level, iron, etc. to see if I qualify for blood donation. With a haemoglobin level of 15.1, who could disagree?! Normal level is between 14-18.
The doctor then proceeded to check my blood pressure. I don't know why the doc had to check my blood pressure twice. The second time, the machine reset itself and then it was finally over the third time! My arm almost went numb with that tape around it! I can never understand how to read blood pressure levels. I was looking at the numbers, confused. I asked the doc what's my blood pressure level and he said "You're ok. Go and lie down!" Yeah.. I come to donate blood and you're doing ME a favour by taking it?!!
No use arguing. So I lie down and the doc comes over, injects my right arm with anaesthesia, gives me a rubber ball to squeeze, and shoves a big, fat needle inside. I'm donating 450ml of blood. I see other people who started with me and they are almost finished after about 5 minutes. I'm still pumping! The machine starts beeping. I can't look down to see what the problem is. The doc comes by and checks. My friend on the other bed looks down and tells me, the machine is blinking "No Flow" on the screen. What the f@#&?! The doc says its ok and leaves. After a while, it starts beeping again! "No Flow" It took me almost 10 minutes to finish the process. A whole 5 min longer than all the others! Finally it's over and I can go and have lunch!
The weirdest part is, or should I call it silly, in all these 45 minutes, I never bothered to find out my blood type! Argh!!!

13 Comments:

Blogger Elle said...

I don't think they would of been able to tell you your blood type immediately. It has to go back to the lab first.

Before we moved here and I was still working, I can remember the blood bank coming to our offices every so often. We would all queue up to give as you got really nice cookies and juice afterwards:) Oh and time away from your desk.

Good on you for donating!!

10/30/2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger Arab Lady said...

looooooooooooooooooool

no flow huh!!

ok thx God that u posted something!! :P

concerning the boold type, believe it or not i've that it has something to do with the personality!! my blood type is A+...wondering why i like the A type...!

10/30/2006 9:57 AM  
Blogger clayfuture said...

@ella.. Oi! Nothing odd about me! I'm special! Unique! One in a million! or a billion rather!

@elle.. at least you have proven that it wasn't silly of me not to find out my blood type! Like you said, the blood has to go to the lab first. There was no way I could've found out anyway! Ha!

@arablady.. what a load of bull! since when did personality have anything to do with blood type!!! and thank God I posted something! I really felt like I was depriving all my loyal fans of their regular dose of the claymaster! :D

10/30/2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger nzm said...

Wow - thay gave you a local anaesthetic first? I've never heard of that before.

Elle: in NZ, they can tell from the haemoglobin test what blood type you are, so they should have been able to tell ClayFuture right away.

ClayFuture: now you know what to do, you'll be in to donate blood every 6 months, right? :-)

Did they give you tea and a biscuit afterwards? They do in NZ! :_)

10/30/2006 12:30 PM  
Blogger clayfuture said...

@nzm.. our company provided us with biscuits, water, juice, cute little sandwiches and ashtrays for the smokers! haha.. I think it's a good idea to donate blood. My blood might save someone's life someday!

@ella.. cancerians don't have egos!!

10/30/2006 1:36 PM  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

lolll bechara, no flow ey? Well it was a good deed regardless.

Do they actually expect people to write, yes I have AIDS? And I had sex in June something...?

I hope they screen the blood regardless of the answers. And what is up with getting anaesthesia?? never ever heard of that while donating blood. Is that a "men are scaredy cats" thing or do they do it to all donors?

10/30/2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger clayfuture said...

@shaira.. Well, it sure numbed the whole area and I didn't feel a thing. That big fat needle was like "you're all mine now pepito!"

@ella.. I still don't have an ego! nothing to admit!!!

10/30/2006 3:19 PM  
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

lolll papito!

10/30/2006 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been told my blood type many times, but i can never remember :P i'm either an A+ or a B+.. In school, we took samples of our blood and tested for the blood type on our own, its a pretty simple and straight forward process!

Did u feel faint afterwards?

But good on you, you never know u might be saving a person's life right this second :)

11/01/2006 1:48 AM  
Blogger Bravecat said...

"Do you know AIDS will be reported to the government?" - priceless!

:P :P

11/01/2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger clayfuture said...

heh! It's deportation right away if found out! Pathetic.

11/01/2006 1:30 PM  
Blogger * said...

As usal LATE on the post. They tell ur blood type at first prick (pun intended)
I am O+. Having said that why am I disclosing so many personal details on a blog???
BUt if u ever need it IM A UNIVERSAL DONOR>
I have been to give blood 3 times and each time they turn me away . Lousy haemoglobin. If I can do a 9 Im doing good.
Stewwwpid.

11/02/2006 12:38 AM  
Blogger clayfuture said...

@kaya.. Ha! 9! ha!

11/02/2006 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home