vi

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Oasis Center Burns Down

Oasis Center on Shaikh Zayed Road was on fire early yesterday, and as per the police, it was due to negligence of safety measures. One of the most prominent landmarks in Dubai, it was saddening to hear the news. Although I'd only been there a few times, it had a pleasant and peaceful atmosphere.
The workers were using gas cylinders and at one point sparks flew, igniting the thermal insulation.
Very dangerous indeed. I remember once when my office almost caught fire for the same reason: electric sparks flew from a few jumbled wires and the thermal insulation caught fire immediately. Luckily, some of us were in the office late night and saw the smoke and put it out. Otherwise, we'd be in the news the next day, as I too work in a very prominent "landmark" in Dubai that's been around for over 30 years!
"It was not vandalism as is being spread by many people, who love circulating rumours to spark fear among the people," Al Mazeina said.
Vandalism is the first thing that comes to one's mind. However, most of my friends were thinking about "insurance". Being that Oasis Center was not doing so well financially as most other shopping centers, this was a way to cover losses and start over. But I don't think so.
My biggest concern was for the animals at Petland. No matter how many times I'd been to Oasis Center, I would always stop by at Petland to see the animals.
A rescue worker at the site on Shaikh Zayed Road said all the animals had been burnt. "It was a a horrible sight," he said.
This was extremely distressing for me. I love animals and last night when I heard from a friend that Oasis Center burned down, my first thoughts were "What about the animals?" Left me thinking for sometime.
It's outrageous that a large and modern shopping center such as this would develop a faulty sprinkler system. Perhaps they did not maintain it properly, in which case, along with the workers, the management is also at fault. There should be fire drills and maintenance of the fire detection systems regularly. The Police and Fire Department should be advised earlier that at this particular time a fire drill will take place, so as not to send their vehicles and personnel when the fire alarm rings, which is connected to the Operations Room at the Dubai Police.

4 Comments:

Blogger black feline said...

frankly i smell some rats..

9/11/2005 6:52 PM  
Blogger clayfuture said...

Well, "apparently" it was the mistake of the workers, who switched off the alarms for maintenance purpose. Who knows if its true or not, but in situations like these, the upper management is never at fault!

On another note: Landmark Group, the owners of Oasis Center, will be rebuilding the shopping center on the same spot.

9/12/2005 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello clayfuture !
Thanks for your post. In return i hope to share this quote:

"Positive thoughts (joy, happiness, fulfillment, achievement, worthiness) have positive results (enthusiasm, calm, well-being, ease, energy, love). Negative thoughts (judgement, unworthiness, mistrust, resentment, fear) produce negative results (tension, anxiety, alienation, anger, fatigue)."

Also, please feel free to come and post on my blog : dubai holidays

11/29/2005 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found yours! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my tv crosswords puzzles site.
Good luck!

7/25/2006 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home